The exercise of visualization is not easy. It starts with inhibitions, sometimes fear, for some it’s overwhelming and for few it’s a moment of meltdown. The title of the book Dare to Dream, a book written by Rai Bahadur Oberoi (Founder, Oberoi Group) sums up that to dream, it takes courage.
Human beings are complex creatures and hence the mix of emotions and feelings. The big idea is to ride over these wave of emotions.
The follow up to the visualization or vision creation is what is essential.
Persistence is the value which will give you amazing results.
Persistence is the ability to maintain action regardless of your feelings. You go on even when you feel like quitting, until you achieve that important goal. People give up too soon because they are unable to map their journey and sooner or later the goals overwhelm and take over the will and desire to achieve it.
When you work on your big Vision, your motivation can go and up and down. Circumstances, your emotions can play games with your motivation. Sometimes you’ll feel motivated; sometimes you won’t. But it’s not your motivation that will produce results — it’s your action. The decision to persist. To make progress even when you don’t feel like it.
The difference between those who are able to accomplish and those who don’t is ACTION.
Einstein persisted and stayed with problems longer to make sure he found exactly what he was looking for. He once said “It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.”
Staying requires discipline. Identify your discipline pattern…NOW
Identify barriers to discipline as well.
To remain persistent, you may want to try few things-
- Write down your action plan with deadline. Break it down
- Review your action plans
- Monitor your score. Write your progress in a journal or calendar. Progress is the ultimate motivator. Once you see results, you will strive to continue.
- If you fall, it’s ok. Don’t be too harsh on yourself. Get up and get going.
- Have a buddy. Commit to your buddy and be accountable to your buddy.
- Reward yourself when you reach your milestones
- Share your moments of happiness with friends and family